What is Green Building?
Contra Costa County has implemented a program called “Green Building” in order achieve a “greener” approach to city projects and conserving resources. Since the drought, it is more crucial than ever to make sure we are being intelligent with our resources and living sustainably and efficiently.
According the the Contra Costa County website:
Green building is a “Whole-Systems” approach for designing and constructing buildings that conserve energy, water, and material resources and are healthier, safer, and more comfortable.
In practical terms, green building includes:
- Using sun and wind to the building’s advantage for natural heating, cooling, and daylighting;
- Landscaping with native plans and using water efficiently;
- Building quality, durable structures;
- Insulating well and ventilating appropriately;
- Incorporating salvaged, recycled,and sustainably harvested materials;
- Maintaining healthy indoor air quality with appropriate building techniques, and materials;
- Using energy-efficient and water-saving appliances/fixtures; and
- Reducing and recycling construction waste.